Monday, January 17, 2011

Bus to Nowhere

Well, this was bound to happen. Those of you who know me, know that I either get lost or lose important or valuable items. Some may view this as a fault. I however, see it as one of my finest gifts. Not everyone has this talent, I can assure you..... but that's neither here nor there. Speaking of being neither here no there (what a fantastic segway).......NO, I didn't lose Wyatt today. For those of you who may still be thinking about me losing valuable items......
Just to back up a bit, Will and I decided to sign up Wyatt for classes 4 days a week. Upon our arrival he was signed up for a Mandarin Class and a Cooking class, which then progressed into me signing him up for a Science class another 2 days a week, (seeing that we both really need that hour break from one another).And let's be honest, he needs that interaction with other kids. OK. Moving along. So, we were cutting it a little close today in regards to making it to his class via walking. We have a few choices to get there. We can 1) walk 2) get a taxi or 3) take the free shuttle bus which apparently drives within the proximity of where his classes are held. (Note the word choice of apparently within #3).  So feeling adventurous with the naivete of a toddler, I opted for option #3. (I would have taken option #2 if only I had the address of my destination in Mandarin).
THE BUS.
So we venture to the shuttle bus stop, approximately 2 minutes from our apartment and I am confronted with a choice. I spot two different maps. Crap. I was definitely under the impression that there was one option. Wait for this one option and it will take you where you need to go...and it's free! Nothing my friends, comes for free (NT $200 later for the ice cream I had to buy my son as an apology for missing his science class...but more on that momentarily). I hesitantly ask a woman in line if there are two different buses. She says yes. Being extremely intuitive, I gather these are all the facts she is going to give me. I have a 50/50 chance of picking the correct bus.  I at that moment decide- forget it, I'll walk... and then Wyatt is screaming that the wind is blowing, that he's cold *whine* whine *whine* cheese with that whine Wyatt?...ughhh- Fine!!!!! WE'RE GETTING ON THE BUS WYATT!!!!! And that dear readers, was the beginning of our journey to nowhere. As soon as the bus pulled out and began going the opposite way of my intended destination, I should have pushed the big red button above my head that read stop; but to be fair, we're in a strange country, and all of our lives we've been instinctively taught NOT to push that red button. I waited nearly the entire trip for someone to push that button, and once she did, the bus did not explode and the passengers all remained intact. ( I filed this piece of knowledge away for next time) SOOOOO we proceeded to ride around Taiwan, for the next 30-40 minutes, missing Wyatt's science class much to his dismay. It was no Hollywood tour I assure you, but I now know which bus NOT to take...assuming of course there are only 2 buses...............



We Survived!!! 

3 comments:

  1. And this my friend is why you never see anybody at the Greyhound terminal anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the confusing day, but it look like you both remained calm in the midst of the chaos! Love you lots-miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right dad?!?

    I love you too sister. lots of frustration, but we turned it off enough for a quick pic : 0

    ReplyDelete