Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Bad A** Bikers

Today was a beautiful day, and there was no way we were spending it inside. NO WAY. If we did, mayhem and madness would lead me to do un-pretty things. ahem. uh, yes... right. SO I gave The Wyatt the option to ride the Green Line (MRT) all the way to the end(we've been talking about this for awhile) or go for a bike ride along the water. To my surprise, he chose option B and you may be shocked to know that I didn't even try to manipulate his choice. Really truly. Today I really didn't care either way-so bike we I did and I've got the burn to prove it. Calorie burn and unflattering tank top burn.
Side Note-*At some point in the distant future my legs will be smokin.'** I'm SUPER excited for that day. **I will take pictures.**
So the bike paths themselves kind of merge all into each other. This is my thought at least. I'm pretty sure I started on Shuangxi River Path which merged into Guandu Bikeway then finally led into Tamsui Golden Shore Bike Path. (For the record I would not bet money that I got that correct). Regardless of what path we were on, it was long. Naturally I had a coffee spot picked out (I had been to this place about a year ago), and I thought that it would be a good stopping point/midway point to figure out what we were going to do next. The ride itself was beautiful- the mountains, crops, wharf &water...just beautiful... albeit hot...OH! and there's a little dirt bike/trick area on the way which Wyatt always gets a kick out of. SOOO naturally we stopped here and he egged me on through; whooping the whole way screaming "this is greeeeeat,"  in his super- charming melodramatic way, as we're moving at snail speed through the course. I guess as long as you're actually doing what the kid wants, speed doesn't matter? Well, apparently (and thankfully) that was the case here. We went through the course twice and then he was like...can I run through it? um.....sure Wyatt. Knock yourself out man. Haha, so yeah, after he ran the course we hopped back on the bike and went along our merry way. It was so hot. oh man. I'm reliving it now as I write and I can't believe Wyatt let out nary a complaint. Poor thing knew better, I would have probably jammed on the breaks and made him walk. He's a pretty fast learner, I'll give him that. (Yes. That may have happened to him before).
By the time we got to the coffee/lunch place, we were ready to dive in. The place, Frog Cafe, was just as I remembered and didn't disappoint. Nor did Wyatt as a matter a fact. I swear, he may pick like a bird for a couple days, but then a couple times a week he just packs it all in. He had 1/2 my club sandwich, waffles, apples and a lemon Popsicle. Nice. I on the other hand had aforementioned 1/2 sandwich, and 2 iced coffee drinks. AWESOME. The day was a success already and unlike a couple of our museum days we've had recently, time had not stopped today. WOO-HOO. Tuesday- WIN!!
Wyatt and I were talking amongst ourselves and he left the option up to me as to whether we should forge ahead. What the heck else were we going to do? Go home and wait til things got ugly? Nah. Boredom breeds bad things and I just needed him on a bike behind me today. Perhaps that was why we were getting a along so well, come to think of it. We were together, but at the same time, had our own time to take everything in, and just chill out. Hmmmmm. This is making a lot of sense as I type it out and read it. I'm thinking more bike rides are in our future.......
Not under arrest. Just cooling off. 
Yes. Clearly the option was to keep going. Wyatt was increasingly pleased with his choice of biking as opposed to the MRT..something about not being able to drink beverages and take in the beauty or something if we were on the train. He's so wise. Other than a chain mishap on Will's bike, which screwed the gear changing (and honestly, a bit of my attitude) in addition to me exerting unneeded energy in multiple locations, we headed toward Danshui(AKA Tamsui) which houses Fort San Domingo. I'll spare you the history lesson and since I'm no good at it anyway, let me sum it up by saying it was cool. Figuratively and literally. It was air conditioned Thank God, otherwise Wyatt would have lost his $%@. Seriously. He was nearing his finito point. He was barely pacified by the cannons, which is saying a lot.
After we cooled off, checked off another landmark, my cheerleader and I headed back home. My sweet boy, always sensing my mood grabbed my hand on the bike when I needed encouragement and would give me a kiss every now and then on my neck...his little thank you for taxi-ing him around. Totally worth it.
http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002091&id=2129
DORK ALERT!




The Fort












3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it to the fort! I was disapointed when we didn't have time to make it to it when I was there. That is a long bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a SUPER long ride. But it felt good. ; 0- It wasn't as cool without you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok....so I'm pretty far behind, but as I'm reading this I'm both happy that you are having a great time, but at the same time I'm missing you both a real lot. OK...are you sure that Fort is not in Mexico? I mean it looks pretty Spanish. Are you sure you didn't bike further than you meant to bike? Did you travel in another possible universe? Are you in NJ?????

    ReplyDelete