Tuesday, January 3, 2017

I'm Back.

I'm back.Talk about a loaded statement in two words.  Back to Blogging? Perhaps. Back to the U.S.A? Definitely. Back to reality. Back to suburbia. Back to budgets and responsibilities that I had eschewed for awhile. Back to family. Back to short plane rides. Back to grocery shopping in one place. Back to driving everywhere. Back to lots and lots of snow. Back to shoveling. Back to large stoves, large refrigerators and large backyards. Back to lots of large. Back to lots of great and eh. You can assume which is which in the above list.
Welcome back. Welcome home. You must be so happy to be back. Back to lots and lots of people uttering the same words. *Deep Sigh*
It is true. We are "back" in the United States. Back home? I guess if we are considering my country of origin my home, then yes. I'm home. Did I feel at home in Taiwan? Absolutely yes. Did I feel at home in Japan? A little less then Taiwan, but absolutely yes. Do I feel at home in my current state of Utah? Not so much, but I'm working on it....kind of. 
Living abroad has forever changed me. In talking to one of my friends, she so wisely said, I just feel bigger then the place I'm at.... I get that. It's not meant to sound haughty or arrogant. I am literally bursting at my seams with experiences and culture and some days walking through the aisles of target just doesn't feel like enough. 
But today? I went to Target...and while it wasn't a hidden back alleyway with secret treasures,hanging lanterns, or filled with ancient shrines..it was enough. That my friends, is progress. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh Aly, what you are going through is totally normal. Reminds me of this post I found awhile back:
    http://naomihattaway.com/2013/09/i-am-a-triangle-and-other-thoughts-on-repatriation/#comment-444038
    Being a triangle in a world of circles is a difficult but kind of awesome thing.
    Sending you all big hugs! Love you, sister! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aly you should REALLY write. You are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Long time no speak as they say. Target is for sure the worst. This coming from a person who did not transition well to living abroad. Did I tell you when I got to Shanghai I cried and wanted to go back to Taiwan??? In retrospect, I love Taiwan. It was so warm and friendly and interesting. Lots of new adventures great friends. I get it. Do you know what I do?? I send Sean to target to get my laundry detergent! How about Barnes and noble? I have found that to be a happy place sometimes. Spring will be here before you know it! Lisa

    ReplyDelete