Saturday, June 29, 2013

The one that got away....


Museum #3 Bust. -Li Tien-lu Hand Puppet Historical Museum
 Let’s just say, each day when I open my eyes to start the day, it all begins with good intentions. I intend to be cheerful without coffee. I intend to not snap at Wyatt for not doing his morning routine that he has done  380 days consecutively, prior to this 381st day, and that this 381st day is no different than the past 380. I intend to pluck my bike keys out of the drawer on our way out….oops. I had intended  to put said keys in drawer the night before…..you catch my drift. My intentions are good, whether the end result is or not.
That is why on this particular Friday, the puppet museum trip with my girlfriend and her two kids was intended to be SO much fun. How could an adventure to Danshui and a quick cab ride from there not be fun? The website for this museum looked intriguing, with promises of DIY,making your own puppets,an exhibition area, musical area, puppet drama, computer zone…I mean- HOW FUN!!!!!
The MRT ride was fairly uneventful and the kids were just grateful we didn’t make them walk given the temperature outside. When we showed the cabbie our destination, he seemed to know where it was. What seemed like 30 minutes later, I repeated the address and he nodded affirmatively that we were indeed going in the right direction. Fearful that we were moments away from hearing Banjo music (which I believe can happen continents away from the US as well) we chose to have faith in our driver. Finally he pulled up in front of what I thought was the place. As we all peered outside of the cab it looked…….well, it looked closed.
Perfect.
The cab driver, ever the gentlemen, called the number posted outside and spoke to the owner. After some discussion, he began speaking to us in Chinese. I picked out a few words and realized fake it til you make it doesn’t apply to the need for a Chinese response. As my friend and I looked at each other, we ascertained that the guy was coming up to the museum. Great! The trip was not a waste! Our adventure panned out! Yes, we nodded to the cabbie, him coming to the museum would be great! The cab driver spoke to the owner, then proceeded to drive.
Wait. What? Why are we not waiting? Why were we moving? Where the crap were we going? After another interesting discussion, it was our NEW understanding that the cab driver was driving to pick up the owner of the museum. BAHAHAHAHA. WHAT?!
Yes. That is true. I have no idea how the guy would have gotten back but, uh, no. ix-nay on the free cab-bay ride dude.
We had the cab driver, who totally scored in the NT department with our ride, bring us back to the MRT.
We pacified the children for the lack of puppetry by feeding them  ice cream. They seemed to get over their disappointment.
I too will live through not having seen a puppet, though my disappointment is palpable. Yeah. Not really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment