Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Museums across Taipei ...Take 1

Taipei Children's Art Museum

 
I have lived here about 2 1/2 years give or take some math, and I have never been to this museum. I kid you not when I tell you this place is like a 10 minute bike ride from my apartment. 10 minutes!!!! What a travesty. Ugh. Enough of the dramatics. We went, we toured, we liked, we will go again. In all fairness our guide (who was a newbie) said that the exhibits slowly change and transform over the course of the year. That makes me feel a tad better. I mean how much could we have missed?.....Anyway, one of the first sculptures we saw is the one pictured above. It was awesome. The sculpture if you look closely, (though some may be looking til the end of time and not see it).....is a baboon. Yeah. I had my suspicions as well,  but that's what the guy said and we believe what random art museum guys tell us right? Yeah. So Mr. Newbie says to Wyatt , "Can you pick out the objects that make up the baboon?" He asks this while pointing towards the head. For Pete's sake. The head is a $%&% tape deck. Holy Crap. My son has no idea what a tape deck is, and even worse, I had no idea how to explain it. Newbie( who was.... what? no more than 19 tops??) was like, yeah, they're pretty old..blah blah bah.....Shut UP!!!! Oh man. rough start to the afternoon. Eh Hem....BUT Moving right along..........This museum, this childrens’ museum was really cool. Wyatt was digging it, as many of the exhibits revolved around creating new sculptures, figures, objects out of re purposed items. Floor fans turned into rib cages, spoons transformed into mums….it was all incredibly innovative .To my junk sculpture king…well, he was transfixed. Mr. Newbie Tour Guide was fantastic with Wyatt- interactive, talking to him as if he were a smart, talented young man (which he of course is, how did that guy know that?)…Wyatt was engaged and interacting quite a bit. I was duly impressed to say the least. The guy had Wyatt looking critically at paintings and sculptures to see what he could find, decipher what the artist may have had in mind…and Wyatt responded with thought provoking answers. Again….color me impressed. 

Paper flowers
Almost like a play therapy room- All about colors. Wyatt had to pick where he wanted to put the furniture- in the cool, medium or warmer colored houses. Wyatt felt compelled to put the corresponding colored furniture in the same home- We have a man who is a rule follower.

More paper flowers
It was my understanding that children came up with the design, which was then executed by museum staff
It was my understanding that children came up with the design, which was then executed by museum staff
All paper!

The mirrors made this handmade forest look expansive!




2 comments:

  1. Yeah, let's beat up Mr. Newbie for bringing up the old tape deck thing and dating you, and then you follow that up by saying "Wyatt was really digging it." I heard that phrase maybe in 1982, but that's ok old timer!

    Museum looks great by the way, do they have senior discounts? I mean for the next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete