Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Let the Games Begin!


Here we go baby. HERE. WE. GO.
Wyatt actually said to me yesterday- Mom, do the days seem really long to you?
Really Wyatt? Then I thought-Crap. Did he hear me? Is he like reading my thoughts now? So yeah. I totally agree with him. And it’s only Tuesday.
Let me put this into perspective…school ended Friday.
Yup. That’s it.
The "schedule" oooohhhh.......
He will not watch TV all day. He.. will ….not…… watch TV all day. He…will….not……… Seriously though. He will NOT watch TV and play video games all day. Just a little bit of the day.  Momma needs a plan.
Last year Wyatt was in summer camp ½ the day and they had these themes each week, which he would get pretty pumped up about. I decided to snag this idea and had Wyatt come up with 7-10 different topics that he wanted to go over. Based upon his ideas, I fleshed out some craft, snack and museum opportunities, coupled with library time to check out books on the topic of choice. (FYI- Do you even KNOW how many museums Taiwan has? It’s crazy town. Ca-Razy). To put all this into context-let me share some of Wyatt’s ideas.
Venomous spiders, Earthquakes, Snakes, Earth, The Future , Mars,…….The Human Body- you get the idea. Having a theme gives me a bit of structure to build my days around.  Type A much? And to think all those years I fancied myself a B. Delusions of grandeur indeed……
I’m just saying- To wake up, flail around not knowing what we’re going to do just seems painful to me. Oh yeah- Did I mention that he has class from 8-12 A.M. for 4 weeks? So what’s your problem you ask? Um….I love my son, but he and I being like, the same person, we start to grate on each other a little. And by a little I mean a lot. 12-8:30 is still a decent chunk o’ time. It’s all good though. All moms out there- you are NOT a bad mom if you don’t entertain your kid 12 straight hours of a full day. I don’t just say that because I don’t and I want to make myself feel better. Kids need to self-entertain at times and not every minute needs to be packed with an activity. Whew! I feel better. …Even though I wasn’t writing that for me. I’ll keep you posted on how our weeks progress. As of now it’s raining, so the Dragon Boat festival is a bust which I’m simultaneously excited and bummed about. Rain wasn’t a part of the plan, but apparently I need to be flexible? Hmmmmm. Should I write that on the calendar?
ALSO- just in case you’re wondering- a craft spider with Styrofoam and pipe cleaners takes approximately 2.3 minutes to make and I’m currently pursuing my robotics engineering degree to build a mobile R2D2 from scratch. Yup. Happy Summer people. 
Yeah...so we fill the gaps in our day with a lot of this. I guess I'll have to increase my run time.....




No comments:

Post a Comment