Wednesday, February 2, 2011

And it ended with a BANG...

Chinese New Year is upon us.- For those who are unaware- apparently this is the year of the rabbit, as was confirmed by my ever so knowledgeable husband who also took the time to point out that that may be the reason that Taiwan is currently being overun by rabbit paraphanelia. (So I'm a little slow on the uptake..but I had my suspicions.)- I look forward to seeing what the year of the pig will look like.- I'll keep those of you that are in suspense posted.
As you can imagine, Taiwan was a bit grey today with some scattered sprinkling- nothing unusual. I'm not complaining, 'cause I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of that when the weather starts to warm up to uncomfortably humid and sweat inducing temperatures. 
Here's the thing that I've observed and learned from Chinese New Year thus far. According to the radio station I was listening to, 420,000 people leave the city and travel South to spend time with family/friends. This frees up a great deal of the city, leaving it much less congested to travel around and to take in the sights. So having Will home for the New Year (Wed-Monday) bumps up our adventure Friday to Wednesday…with the potential for further exploration around the island the rest of the week. WHOA. I know- mind blowing... less congestion and having Will with us?!? So we started off this soon to be fun-filled week by heading out to Taipei 101. Not sure what I had in mind..but I'm pretty sure it was more than what we got to see. Due to the supremely overcast sky, it was inferred that we not go up to the top and essentially flush our cash because the visibility was apparently pretty suckarific. These were not the tour guide's exact words, but we heeded her unspoken wisdom and looked out the window from the 5th floor instead of the 101st. uh yeah…same difference.  We'll try this one again. We got time.
oops.
After an eventful trip to Costco, we headed home for some dinner  and went wandering the streets when we heard crazy/random fireworks going off outside. From what I understand, there really isn't planned fireworks, people just randomly go wherever they want (like our side street) and light massive fireworks out of a can in the middle of the road. Uh- totally rogue and awesome. It was raining debris all over us, that's how close and unprotected we were. Wyatt was in the midst of a love/hate war with the fireworks show approximately 6 feet from where we stood. On the one hand, he appeared pretty psyched…until he wasn't and he freaked. All in all he was more psyched then freaked so we were able to stay. One sweet girl came over and handed me this long tube, which based upon our pantomimes, I thought was a sparkler…until I realized it wasn't because it was shooting fireworks out of it…that could have ended very badly had Will not had the foresight to tell me to point it up. He is so my hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment