Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jump back with me through time.........

Ready to Par-Tay.
......To Wyatt's Birthday, the first week of December. Wyatt had two of the best birthday gifts ever arrive right on his doorstep. Gram and Papa with the Puppies came just in time to celebrate our "young man" turning five. It's so cliche to say that time flies and that they grow up so fast, but that's the thing about cliches. We say them all of the time because they're true. Duh.
My parents stayed for a week- and we had a great time. I mean, I had a great time, so I'm sure they did too. Right guys??
Being that this was Wyatt's first birthday where he was actually in a real classroom, I was in a bit of a quandary. Do I just invite a few? How am I supposed to pick these "few?" When I asked Wyatt, he rattled off the whole class. If I only invite a few, won't they talk about it on Monday, because his party is sure to be full of awesomeness?? Do you see where I'm going with this?? Wyatt's a pretty sociable guy and quite frankly,(much to my future dismay) is friends with all the kids in his class + more. Great for him but suckarrific for me. So I invited the whole class. Stupid.....but in the end it all worked out all right. Sorry if I just ruined this post for anyone. Feel free to stop reading if you were anticipating total disaster. All in all we had approx 12-14 kids at this Transformer-esque party. I didn't want to drop a lot of cash, so I was trying to be creative about where we could hold this party. I was thinking the park, but unfortunately Taiwan weather is bizarre and unpredictable, so I came up with the Science Center. When I called them the second time (an interesting story in itself) since I got hung up on the first time, I was told they had never done a birthday party before. O-KAY. SOOOOOO.............I was relentless. I told them I didn't need the whole room, I just wanted the kids in a confined area to play. Blah blah blah...*side note* The cool thing about the Science Center here is that the lower level is kid friendly and has a whole play room area of fun. Finally, it was all set up and we were good to go. My parents and hubby set up the second floor level like the rock stars they are (yeah we had to have all the kids hike up 3 levels.....don't ask), thankfully securing some obscure tables in a corner in the food court area---and we were golden. And to my delight,some of the kids parents stayed, otherwise I surely would have lost 1 or 2 kids; not to mention the fact that I was already in a state of nearly stroking out for 2 hours, being that I am not always the calm cool and collected chick that many of you think me to be..........so I get a little anxious.......Anyway....
Despite the mayhem in my head, it was all good. With the party having gone smoothly, we hit the Night Market in the evening (hence "night market"), assaulting Dad and Janie with a variety of indiscernible and probably what they would say, unpleasant aromas. But everyone has to do a Night Market at least once.....Wyatt secured a banging hat from a kiosk on the way out and we were ready to attack the week. Well, in a matter of speaking. We walked, we toured, we ate, we went to Wyatt's first soccer game of the season...we enjoyed one another's company and just chilled out. Wyatt was thrilled to have his grandparents here, as were Will and I that we had company. (and such FANTASTIC company at that.) It was an awesome week, and as I have said about family/friend visits before, it makes me miss home. Melancholy lasts for a while until I pick myself up by the proverbial bootstraps, drink an extra cup of coffee and call/skype  just a little more than I had before. Just for a bit....like the next year.
A week in review.......





Crazy fish at the Palace.

I could do that.........


1 comment:

  1. Yes...I can honestly say we had a great time with you guys! The birthday was really fun with all of the kids, really nice kids too. Of course one of the best parts was the BLUE Transformer cake. Nothing like 15 kids with totally BLUE mouths, lips and faces!

    Wyatt at the night market was a trip with his new hat. Looking at his picture sitting in front of the "slot machine", he looks like a retiree in Vegas. Somebody get that kid a cigarette!

    Looking back at the pictures you posted reminds me of how much fun we had just doing the everyday things with you. So much fun. We're so glad we came and will do it again! Get ready!!

    Love Dad and Janie

    ReplyDelete