Tuesday, June 28, 2011

We interrupt your currently scheduled posting...


Antibiotic Packets

I have to put our Singapore trip on hold for a moment to fill you in on our first Doctor's appointment. It started out with a little cough that progressed into Wyatt hacking up organs, so I figured for the sake of everyone and for the love of Taiwan, I should probably bring him somewhere to be checked out. I called an English speaking Doctor's office this morning at 9:05 am. The appointment was scheduled for 9:30 am and I was told that I was number 8. Having no idea what that meant, I figured we were in for quite a long wait despite having been taken in for an appointment at a moments notice. We were fortunate enough to have Will drive us there and were greeted by a cheery office with a play set in the front foyer. Sweet feature (though I figured incredibly germ infested- I know, my Debbie Downer brain can't help it.). The office didn't want my insurance card, had us fill out a questionnaire approximately 5 questions long, none of which covered medical history, (though one did ask about allergies) and no social history questions other than number and address. After paying 500 NT dollars for the visit (approximately 15-16 US bucks) we were seen at exactly 9:30 am. There were two electronic number counters on the wall..kind of like what you would see at a deli. Despite me confirming that Cooper was Wyatt's last name, they proceeded to call him Cooper throughout the visit, taking the customary weight and temp prior to going into the Doctor's office space. We saw what I assumed was the Doctor right after Wyatt's weight was taken, as preliminary introductions were not made (other than confirming who Cooper was). This was a no-nonsense visit. She took a look at "Cooper" looked down his throat, checked his ears, listened while I gave what I perceived was important medical history of our kid, prescribed a bag a meds to be picked up at the pharmacy next door, said he had a red throat, an infected right ear and to schedule a time to have his ear checked in about a week. Gee, I'll see if I can fit it in. Wyatt was thrilled. There were no shots involved and he got a balloon, sticker and a lollipop. It was efficient, and hopefully after a week effective enough that he can no longer communicate with seals. I do however have mixed feelings. While the appointment took all of 10 minutes and I am hopeful we won't have to return frequently, I missed the patient care. I miss our pediatrician. Anyways, we walked next door to the pharmacy and I handed the prescriptions that were given me. Ten minutes, a hundred crack bags (I jest obviously) and a bag of differing colored liquids totaling 300 NT dollars (10 US bucks) later and we were done. How to get Wyatt to take any of this? Well, your guess is as good as mine.


The pharmacy

1 comment: