Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Birds...




 
      =



Birds are beautiful creatures. In fact, when I was younger and my elementary school teacher told us to pick what animal we would want to be, it was always a bird. The thought of taking flight, perching in a tree or on a wire, taking in the world around me and flying away from things that bothered me at a moments notice; well, it all sounded quite appealing. This being said, the idea of going to the Jurong Bird Park was enticing, and I knew that Wyatt would have a great time (particularly since they had stroller rentals there to prevent maximum "sweatage"). Jurong Bird Park was set up a great deal like the zoo. The park had an open airy quality to it and was  made to feel, I'm assuming, (if I were a bird), very much like the animals natural environment. They also had a Ben and Jerry's there. BONUS. Downside? There were a lot of hills, making me quite cranky, as I was pushing Wyatt up, seemingly for a greater part of the day. Trying to make the best of my own sweat issues, I was struck by how close we got to the birds. Luckily I was not literally struck, but the possibility was certainly there. I didn't even get crapped on. How awesome is that?! We were able to walk through massive aviaries and admire the beauty of differing species. Wyatt and I (or at least I) appreciate involvement and interaction on our adventures and could not pass up feeding the Lorries. For a mere 3 dollars (I jest) for a tablespoon of nectar or whatever the stuff was, we could walk through this massive aviary(?), hold out the cups and wait until we were accosted by hungry Lorries. I am so stupid. Seriously. What exactly did I think was going to happen? I was excited and terrified at the same time. One by one they started to land (on me) and beat by beat my heart rate increased. Crap. Not literal crap, but CRAP. I felt like they were all over me. Two were on my arm, then one or more landed on my backpack (which was on me)......and I didn't get a picture. I was trying desperately to work the camera while  my son was hightailing it to the entrance. I believe his exact words were, mom, I'm freaking out, I'm leaving. Short of shooting me the peace sign, it was probably the fastest I'd seen him move all day.  Honestly, I was freaking out too, but how does one shed a Lorry? They cling tight.....
They finally departed and my brave boy held the cup quickly to feed a couple of the birds.  Then? We were out of there........Into the next aviary of doom. OK, Wyatt and I were pretty whipped at this point. We were heading towards the exit when I saw another aviary off the beaten path. I asked him quickly if he wanted to go in and he was game. Opening the door with the stroller we were confronted by a large blue bird (approx the size of a pheasant or peacock) with red eyes. Piercing red eyes. Talk about freaked out. I mean as parents we try not to freak out about EVERYTHING (though I'm failing miserably at that...) but this guy was creepy. And he did not want us to go by him. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars. Wyatt was done at this point, but I was determined to go further in. I would NOT be deterred by some red beady eyed creature. Yeah. Until I was deterred by the red beady eyed creature. He clearly was not budging despite an oncoming stroller. Admiring his resolve, Wyatt and I decided the best choice would be to relinquish the battle to the bird. You can't win them all- that and the fact that Ben and Jerry were beckoning us to visit. 


        



No comments:

Post a Comment