Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Singapore Zoo


We'd be remiss to visit Singapore and skip the zoo. The cool thing about the Singapore Zoo is that it has a Night Safari after 7:30 pm throughout the week. We took the tram throughout the park and I have to say it was completely awesome to see the animals roaming around at night. Wyatt was a bit bummed until he saw two bats roosting in the rafters on the way out. He had been searching for his coveted (*nasty, albeit needed) nocturnal creatures the entire night. I find it important at this juncture to state that I have a deep seated fear that bats will fly, tangle and nest in my hair. As any good husband would do, Will naturally played upon my terror until I gingerly ran out of the park. In my defense, we were on our way out anyway. Wyatt was tickled about the adventure in its entirety and Will was tickled to see my Couch to 5K training in action.

While at the Night Safari it seemed like a good idea to purchase the park jumper pass for myself and Wyatt so we could enjoy not only the splendor of the Zoo as many times as we wanted throughout the week but get a gander of the Jurong Bird Park as well. (More on that later).Wyatt and I proceeded to come back to the zoo two more times throughout the week. Did I mention that it was hot? I also spent an exorbitant amount of money for other people to take pictures of all the cool things that Wyatt and I were doing. I mean, we can't rely on memories alone for Pete's Sake. Our first day was spent exploring, escaping explosive thunderstorms and taking in cheesy skits that Wyatt soaked up like a sponge. (Figuratively and literally....it was very wet.) One of these skits involved saving the rain forest and getting a photo op with a snake. Wyatt adamantly declined the offer to have the large reptile wrap around his neck, but I jumped at the chance. Why not?? 
The Zoo itself was fantastically impressive. It had a very open feel to it (almost  too open...) and if you looked above, you could see chimpanzees sitting in trees, swinging from ropes and kangaroo hopping mere feet away. The layout was great and it was super fun for the both of us. It actually kind of reminded me a little of Jurassic Park... kind of cool and a little creepy at the same time, like something could jump out at you at any given moment. The second time we went, experts at this point, we had two missions. Ride an elephant and go to the kids water park. Done and Done. After selling more plasma and bone marrow to pay for our elephant photo we headed over to the contained chaos that was advertising itself as a miniature water park. By this time Wyatt was VERY sweaty, cranky and ready to get in the water. *Real Mom Moment* Though I'm not going into extreme detail, please know that I was not the calm, cool, collected, cobra-holding mother throughout our two day zoo excursion. I threatened, exploded and raised my voice from time to time......I say this in the spirit of honesty folks, I just had to get that off my chest. I mean I REALLY wanted to ride that elephant. Not failing to mention the irony of having had this previously mentioned explosive episode in the Ele"fun" house.Yeah. He needed to get over the sweat thing. C'Mon.
SO, having made it to the water park, ready with suits in hand, I noticed that none of the mothers had suits on.- They were just kind of standing on the side getting drenched. Not my idea of a good time. I wanted in. BUT....was I allowed? I CAN'T READ CHINESE!!!!!I really didn't spot a whole lot of parents frolicking in the germ infested water and flying down the water slides. Unsure, I waited it out- while Wyatt had a blast running all over the place, immersing himself in the bacteria laden water. He looked SOOOO refreshed. Spying another mom with a suit, I made a dash to change and ran around with Wyatt until it was time for another cheesy show to start. All in all successful? Yes. My tan? Killer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment