Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Wedding

I was thinking today about some of the places we've been and the events we've attended since living here. With that in mind, it prompted me to think about the Taiwanese wedding we went to last month. I can't believe I never posted anything on it!!!!!!!
Well the excruciating wait is over.
The wedding was incredibly entertaining though I have to say I was a bit bummed that we only attended the reception.....however not much we could do, being that there  ONLY was a reception. Unlike most Taiwanese weddings as I've come to understand, this reception was held quite a few months after the actual wedding. The reception had vivid colors, was held in a hotel and was reminiscent of my senior prom. The decor in the front of the ballroom had two large hearts and the bride had 2-3 dress changes from her wedding gown. Seriously. (Will and I are SO renewing our vows.) The gowns were big, colorful and again made me feel as though I had traveled back in time to 1996...with the exception of the shark fin and teriyaki eel that we feasted on. The meal was family style and apparently was filled with traditional Taiwanese delicacies, which I tried all of but pig's sinew..... I mean...sinew? Come on. I'm adventurous BUT..... Well OK let's put it into perspective shall we? Merriam- Webster defines sinew as: 

1sin·ew

 noun \ˈsin-(ˌ)yü also ˈsi-(ˌ)nü\ 1: tendonespecially : one dressed for use as a cord or thread 2obsolete : nerve - SOOOOOO. Yeah. I think not. 
One of the most entertaining parts was a tradition that occurs during the reception. Go with me here. Close your eyes if you will and picture this. The bride and groom are traveling from table to table; greeting guests flanked by their new in-laws. As the bride and groom approach, guests from each table (I think each table, I was just concentrating on ours...) make up dares for the bride and groom to complete 
for the viewing pleasure of those around them. Are you with me? Do we see how this could be traveling down an unsavory & dangerous path?! Yeah- well, eyes still closed?(well duh, I know if you're technically reading this your eyes are not closed.... sorry I KNOW someone was thinking that). Anyhow a lovely female guest at our table dared the groom to take a Golden Fried Glutinous Rice Dumpling Dusted with Ground Peanuts, (I didn't actually remember that, I looked back at the menu) stick it in his lovely bride's bosom and eat it. Classy. NO...did he actually do it you ask as you sharply intake a deep breath?!?!? Surely not with his mother and mother in-law beside him!!!!!! But yes. 
Yes he did.
The remainder of the afternoon was filled with more dress changes, the passing out of soap flowers, photo ops and the "bouquet toss." I put this in quotes, because unlike the tosses that Americans may be used to, the single women here stand on stage with the bride, hold onto one of the ribbons that are connected to the bouquet, and with the cutting of the ribbons from the bride, the bouquet swings to one of the single women. I thought that was quite clever actually and apparently this is a preferable activity advised by the hotel to avoid damage from crazy flying flora?! It really was a sweet feel good reception though. People were having a great time and there was a lot of love and laughter as there should be.... in my humble opinion of course. 
The biggest bummer of the night? Will and I were unable to break out mad air guitar to Starship's We Built This City....but it's OK. What people don't know they're missing can't hurt them. Right?



NOT Will and I......or is it??? : )


4 comments:

  1. I was the one reading and thinking, "I can't really close my eyes, or else I couldn't be reading this." Yes, that was me. Thanks, Aly! The wedding sounds amazing and what an insight into the differences in cultures. Great experience. Glad you shared it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Dana...you beat me..you were not the only one thinking that! I tried with one eye for awhile, but I don't think it gave me the right effect. It did sound like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my kind of meal! I have had both the shark fin soup and pig sinew. I envy (in a good way) the opportunity God has given you to live in this Chinese culture. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there had been multiple dress changes in 1996! Oh wait, I mean dates... ;)
    LOVE your BLOG!!

    ReplyDelete