Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back to the Blog-

Chilis of course.
Sooooo I took some time off but now I'm back. I wouldn't say I'm "better", I mean that sounds incredibly ostentatious, BUUUT I am back and it has been quite a week-quite a good week in fact. A week filled with Kati Kelly : ), a beer float at Taipei 101- which I have to say is an incredible reason other then the view of course-to go to the top, The Taipei Zoo (which gets better each and every time we go) and lots of girlie stuff. If I'm honest I can also admit that this week painted a clearer picture of how hard it is to be away from home...to miss births, weddings, anniversaries, weekend get togethers and just hanging out with friends and family. Shoot, not thinking and subtracting 13 hours before I make a phone call.-It's the heart wrenching trade off of this once in a life-time experience... and at the moment it feels pretty crappy. Kati was incredibly helpful and supportive and for that I am so grateful.....and a bit sad that the week flew by so quickly. *Warning* This may be a bit sentimental.
Brass Monkey
So, having had a friend that I have known since....I don't know, how long has it been?- College- so around 13 years? WO. (or more? NO.....) Well, anyway, a long time- it just further emphasized the work that goes into friendships and the exhaustion that comes from developing new ones. Not necessarily a bad exhaustion, but sometimes it's nice to just have a girlfriend to hang out with that already knows you....with no judgement for better or worse. This "dating" process of cultivating friendships and wondering if she'll call or do I call...getting panicky if our kids get along alright and if I'm being offensive when I think I'm actually being witty(some people just don't get sarcasm)....... ughhh. Sometimes it's just to much. SOOOOO with all that being said it was nice to just BE.
Stinky Tofu Guy. I know the
irony was not lost on me
either.
Beer Float.
Thank you for bearing with my fluid thought process here. I appreciate it.
So back to beer floats?Um. Amazing. Two things that I enjoy very much that I would have never put together. I mean, ingenious. Ok. Done with that topic.- Wyatt and I (and Will as he was able ) brought Kati all around Taipei, showing off our exemplary MRT skills and heading to local night markets, shops, restaurants and bars. We even tried stinky tofu. Yeah, yeah, it completely sucked and tasted WORSE then it smelled, not as if this was a shocking discovery.....I mean, when those who are serving it are laughing while their customers are eating it, surely that can't be a good thing. Right? Kati and I also tried a bit of the night life, attempting a restaurant recommended by our Mandarin teacher (which was quite good) and heading out to the Brass Monkey afterwards to check out where expats and the locals go. What I realized? First of all, I'm old. Secondly, I can still have a good time, despite being old. Just making a couple points- that's all.  Anyhow, Wy-Tuh was an extraordinary tour guide of the zoo, being as he is a master of all things Taipei Zoo.  In fact, Wy-Tuh was extraordinary throughout the entire week. Quite the lovable host. Anyone else up for a visit?

5 comments:

  1. That's so cool! What a blessing to have a bff come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? There are people who don't get or appreciate sarcasm????? What the hell!! Who are these people???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing I was Kati Kelly! Glad you enjoyed your time with her. So happy she had the opportunity to visit! Jealous, but thinking a 48 hr plane ride with a 1 1/2 yr old would not happen. Hope you guys are okay with the tragedy that hit Japan. Imagine you have encountered something from it, but not seeing anything on the news. Hope you can post SOON so we can hear you are okay. Who are these people who don't get sarcasm, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Aly, I'm only just now catching up with your blog. What a sweet post! I'm so glad that I was able to come to Taiwan and spend some (way overdue) time with the Coopers. It was one of the best weeks ever! (highly recommended for any others who may be reading this) Love you sister!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kati you are too sweet....one of the best weeks ever????? AWWWWW right back at ya. looking forward to a London trip........

    ReplyDelete