Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's all Good

I just want to thank everyone for the e-mails and calls. The past week has been absolutely devastating to our neighbors in Japan and I am so saddened by the tragic losses and mass amounts of destruction that they are facing. A new friend that I have just begun spending time with is from Japan, has family and friends living  there and I was with her when Will called to tell me what had happened on Friday. It was our second time getting together and I was hesitant about how to tell her as I was unaware of where her family and friends were living.....and we really don't know each other very well. Upon telling her, I could see her eyes well up and she immediately checked her phone to find texts and messages that her loved ones were safe. Though a natural disaster, it feels somewhat similar to the emotions experienced during 911-The terror, the unknown, the devastation, the loss.- The feeling of helplessness and not quite knowing what to say to someone who is experiencing it on a completely different level then someone, like me, who is watching the horrors on the internet or TV. -I spoke with my girlfriend  today and again, I could see the tears in her eyes- and it just felt, unreal. Japan is her home. I'm pretty sure it's where she grew up- and parts of it are now just gone. Towns gone. Tens of thousands of people-gone.
It is so crazy to me to think WE ARE RIGHT HERE. - I mean, not to freak anyone or myself out, but we really aren't that far away.- It's so surreal- You see these images and you want to help, but can't...at least for right now. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with those in Japan and for those who have family that are there- for those with unanswered questions about loved ones.
All I can say is that I consider myself VERY blessed.

1 comment:

  1. RELIEVED you and your family are okay. Saddened that this is not the case for everyone so close-by. This is an inconceivable (is it wrong that I am thinking of the Princess Bride as I write that word?) tragedy and words cannot express the great devastation felt worldwide. I cannot imagine what the people of Japan face. God Bless them as they begin the steps to recover from this catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete