Friday, August 22, 2014

Blog Digression..

After another fabulous, last-minute trip back to Taiwan with Will for a business trip, Wyatt and I found ourselves running through airports, attempting to make connections, picking up bags, blah blah blah, all in an effort to make it back for Wyatt's orientation that was to be Friday AM. With Will coming back Saturday; I was on my own.

Let me get it out there and just say as a person I feel as if I've grown a bit over the past year or more......more patience? Hmmm. Well, while that may be a stretch, whatever I feel my growth has been, this all dissipated moments upon entering the airport with my smart mouthed seven year old son. I was my worst self. I was stressed, harried, and I'm pretty sure I whined like a teenage girl and almost burst into tears a minimum of three times. THREE.  I'm thinking about it now and I'm actually cringing with embarrassment.  I hate myself. 

As we sat in my new hellish nemesis also known as the Haneda airport, I read an e-mail that stated Wyatt's orientation had been cancelled. Of course it had. Eventually getting beyond my own selfish angst, the reasoning behind the cancellation was because of flooding, landslides and loss of life. Clearly I needed to get over myself. 

The Next day.....
Quick thinking PTA members put together a make shift meet and greet at a local coffee shop so the new kids and parents could get to know each other. 
Awesome!
Yeah....not really. Let's get down to it. As parents we do a lot for our kids. Meeting new people in a new environment to make introductions while making idle chit chat as everyone silently judges one another is not really my idea of a super fun time. It's nauseating. I totally empathized with my son who was going through the exact same thing....but who was taking it way better and with an air of confidence many of us WISH we had. 

I wished for a 1/2 ounce of that confidence as I stood looking in the mirror this morning and saw my gray roots/purple highlights with an old haggard face and a fatty body the summer had not been kind to.
And again I say- Awesome! 
So I dragged my son out next door, bought some hair dye to avoid looking like a grandma with a nose ring and made some cookies and a couple loads of laundry. I'm such a domestic. 
With my roots fresh, I left the apartment with a tad more zing, prepared and ready to meet and greet. All things being said, at the end of the day, I'm extremely glad we went- it's important that Wyatt and I start connecting with this new environment and country. This was the first step in getting us me there. Hooray! 



No comments:

Post a Comment