Thursday, April 12, 2012

From the Mountains to the Beach

Did I not tell you all that I love when Will has whims???Well he had a big one. Wyatt has had off a ridiculous amount of time the past couple weeks for spring break. All I kept thinking was "good mothers don't let their kids watch TV all day"......"good mothers don't let their kids watch TV all day"......"good mothers don't let their kids watch TV all day"......yeah, well you get the point. And quite honestly I don't want Wyatt glued to the tube, so I was furiously thinking of cool and DIFFERENT things to do.(As in NO science center) Then Will decided to take off a couple days and book a trip to Alishan (mountain area) and Kenting (beach). We left from Saturday to Tuesday evening. SWEET. My hubby rocks.
SO according to my research the highest mountain peak is 2663 meters above sea level.*The drive was beautiful. Breathtaking actually. If you didn't have vertigo before a trip like this then surely you'd develop it here- the heights were dizzying for sure- we just kept wrapping around the mountains..ascending higher and higher. The strangest was the change in terrain. We went from palm trees to redwoods within a 10 minute drive- it was crazy. Any type of flower you could imagine, really words do not even give this trip justice. Unfortunately Wyatt's not much of a hiker, but we coped. We scouted out the area, "hiked" around in the woods, saw the magnolia grove ( I was DYING- I love magnolias so much), the sacred tree, ponds...it was just awesome. Everywhere you looked you thought- wow. God is pretty amazing- that's all there was to it. As if that wasn't enough, like a family on crack, we decided to see the sunrise Sunday morning. Seriously..crack heads. At this juncture, let me take a moment to say that Will told me to pack for two extreme temperatures. VERY cold and VERY warm. We'll see if he reads this, but I packed very poorly. I was FREEZING..though I'd never tell him that. Seriously though, I couldn't feel my fingers. 3:30 am is a bad time not to feel your fingers. We caught the train at about 4 (AM) and took it further up the mountain to the sunrise spot. Sunrises are gorgeous, but sunsets in my mind are prettier. Maybe because I prefer evening. Who knows? It was worth it to do it once... I mean when opportunity knocks answer right? (That was dumb sorry.)After the sunrise we took a nap then headed on the road again to the beach. Woohoo!!
So crazily enough I preferred the mountains to the beach. Don't get me wrong- the beach was great. Wyatt went bananas over the pool of course, and really is just content to chill in the hotel room with his two rolls of TP. Driving into Kenting however, I felt looked like some back streets of Newark or a coal mining town in PA...it was uh....you know, not quite what I was expecting. Which, when you get right down to it, I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting. Everyone talks about Kenting, so...... I don't know. It was OK. As we drove a bit further it looked more like a beach community.- There were the stands along the roadside selling beachy crap that one feels compelled to buy and they had ice cream and a Starbucks....it was all good. There was nothing to complain about- I was happy to see the southern end of the island and just chillax with my totally awesome family. I love my life.

Below are pics from Alishan












Coffee Bar in Alishan



Crazy amounts of people waiting for the sun.....
     

 


Below are pics from Kenting (the beach)




*(http://www.orientaltravel.com/province/city/area/TaiwanAlishan.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment