Saturday, November 12, 2011

A day in the life of the Big Ballerina

No, not me..but courtesy of the Blind Melon
album cover. Startling resemblance.
So, I feel that while now out of my writer's slump, I have so much swirling around in my head, I'm not sure where to even start.  A lot of what I have to say can be stuffed into other sections..but well it's my blog, and I can put it wherever I want, right? Yeah. Right. So on that note.... 
Can you all believe it's November? I mean Wow. Will has been here one year, and I'm a couple months shy of hitting that milestone. I am blown away- truly. I think I say that a lot. The longer I stay here the more I fall in love with the country....or maybe it's my new lifestyle...Hmm. Though I try not to think about it too much since I've got a little ways to go, I'm nervous about my re acclimation back to the US....but I guess that'll make for more blog fodder at a later date. For now, I'll try to focus on the here and now. With that being said, I miss you all, so let's catch up with one another shall we? I'm sure you've been biting your nails to the quick, sitting on pins and needles waiting.....waiting......holding your breath just WAITING to know what I've been doing with my life. I'm still doing Tai Chi a couple days a week, though my other workouts haven't been quite as hardcore....or existent really. I think I'm OK with that. My life is not the gym and I'm OK with that. Think I should emphasize that point one more time? I am however sadly aware of my size in comparison to the rest of the class....and the country for that matter. I find that this is when my self deprecating humor comes in handy. When speaking of size it kind of reminds me of Kindergarten. Roll with me here. Yes Kindergarten.Though I don't have the picture with me here as proof, you'll have to take me at my word.... I used to be a ballerina. Stop. It's not nice to laugh. I can hear you. So this picture I'm thinking of, has the whole class dressed in their soldier outfits, replete with hats and shiny red sequins....and there I am. Dead center towering above all the other kids and uh, sturdy looking. I never had what one would call a waif like figure. And for the record, my growth spurt ended in, like, ...kindergarten. So needless to say, all I think of is this image when I'm surrounded by small Asian women with all of their amazing flexible tai-chi-ing"ness" around me. It makes me feel a bit clunky and awkward. Despite these horrendous drawbacks, I really love the class and the women in the class are just lovely. In fact we are going for an all day hike on Monday. That, I'm sure will be an interesting blog post. Hmmm, what else?-I've joined a book club which meets once a month, and women's bible study once a week. I've of course got the room mom gig going on and I started volunteering every Monday at the Garden of Hope Foundation; an organization dedicated to working with women, children and youth who have experienced sexual assault/exploitation and domestic violence. They had an annual conference this past Monday and Tuesday with speakers in from all over the world who were sharing innovative practices as to how they empower women/children/adolescents within shelters. I had the privilege to take part and assist in the preparation process of the conference and it was just fantastic. What else? If it works with picking up Wyatt, I participate in activities with the Community Center, go out for coffee breaks with friends and maintain Wyatt's social schedule of 2-3 "play-dates" a week, cooking, swimming, hip-hop and upcoming soccer?! How do you mom's with more than one do it?? Crazy town.But can you see why I have such a good time here? There's no shortage of stuff to do..fo sho. Mo to come. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the Whitesnake concert was actually the thing that pulled you out of the slump. Rock on baby.....

    ReplyDelete