Thursday, August 25, 2011

Power in the List

Will came up with the greatest idea ever. I'm not saying he wasn't before....but he is SOOO my hero. Ever the humble guy, I  believe he actually exhibited a bit of pride at this parenting idea....which, I have to tell you is completely warranted. Will disclosed to me that when he was younger he was able to perform morning and evening activities(tasks) easier and without hassle via list. I know. SHOCKING. My husband, the chemical engineer, needing a list? WHAAAAAAT?
OK. I'm done. Thinking of myself, and knowing that a younger version of myself following a list in the A.M. would have had as much success as a snowball's survival in the pit of Hades, I was wondering how Wyatt would react. I was pleasantly surprised. This is putting it mildly mind you. He LOVES the lists. I feel like I need to put these words in CAPS to really REALLY emphasize how exciting this is. I get, how do you say......perturbed?...MUCH more easily in the morning than any other time during the day. My IV pump of coffee has not yet been hooked up and I am much more vulnerable to emitting verbal attacks to people (read:Wyatt) who are not listening, not getting ready, essentially not doing what they need to do to get ready for school. If the bus is missed, I have to ride him to school.....on my bike. Do I really want to do that prior to coffee? No. No I do not. Hence-The beauty of the list. When he's messing around not doing what he needs to do, instead of screaming like a banshee and fighting for control, I tell him, (as calmly as possible mind you) to look at the list. Did you do blah blah blah Wyatt? Etc Etc. If he completes all tasks then he is allowed to bring the Ipad downstairs while we wait for the bus. His 10 minutes of Voltron/Transformer time is a huge motivator for him-  Hey whatever does it. I'm game and Mama's happy. VERY happy...and I can start the day without a sore throat. Sweet.
Look at me on fire with the organization. I thought Will was gonna toss his cookies when he saw the calendar. He doesn't  even know who he married anymore, and keeps making the statement that he loves Taiwan.
I'm trying not to take that personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment