Monday, August 15, 2011

Bye Bye Baby

    
As a grown woman (it actually pained me to type that), I am no stranger to heartbreak. Grade school crushes gone bad, middle school angst, high school puppy love and a few "he must be the one(s)" in college that thankfully weren't. Yet, of all my heartache, I never once thought that one day my son would be the source of this type of pain...and yet here I find myself sniffling and trying to put my big girl panties on and get over it. My son, the one whom my mother prayed would be just like me (spite?..or did she just really really love me so much that she wanted another one of us in the world?!...jury's still out) knows my buttons. I've written about this before. He knows what gets me. He knows what pushes me to the brink. He knows he can crush me by dismissing me so casually when I'm vying for his time and he knows he can bring me back with his sly little glance and a sweet kiss or a squeeze on the neck. But what he can't help or take back is growing up. It's gotta be done and I'm going to let it happen if it kills me...I mean for pete's sake I certainly don't want to be one of those mothers that Freud had so often alluded to. It's just SOOO hard. This of course brings us to the first day of Pre-K and his first bus ride.(Two torturous events on two different days). He rocked it. I mean, he was awesome. He wasn't clingy, he wasn't scared- he was confident, self assured, just like we've raised him to be.......so what's the problem? Did I want him to hug a little harder, protest a smidge? No. And that's the truth. It's just hard to let your baby go, you know?

                    
                          

                             





                                   






4 comments:

  1. OMG Ally, i just cried reading this...you're such a strong mama! I hope Cohan never wants to go lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inwardly sobbing while writing it if that makes you feel any better. hahaha- I wish it was easier.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok..Ok...I wasn't sobbing..but I was "misting up". I'm a guy for Pete's sake (who is this guy Pete anyway?). I noticed that you didn't put the picture of you sitting on the step after the bus rolled away, that said it all. But as a guy who actually knows how it turns out in the end, there is a series of these events in your childs life that really are fun, but really hurt. Pre K/elementary school is the first (alright so I hid in the bushes to take a picture), HS graduation, dropping off at college for freshman year and the biggie walking down the aisle. But you know, we all get thru it and life gets better. The family extends and there's more to love. You're going to make it...trust me. Always your Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this was a hard day for you Aly, but you are a strong gal. :) Wyatt looks so cute going to school for the first time! Hope each day has gotten easier!

    ReplyDelete