Friday, May 13, 2011

Rock Concerts and Cooking Class

I love my kid but there was no way I was going to wake up at an ungodly hour to stand in line for summer camp classes. It's not like it was Black Friday or Dave Matthews Band, I mean C'mon. It's SUMMER CAMP!!!!
Let me fill you in on how I have come to understand it works here. The American School is a big deal here. (I told you Wyatt passed the "test" right? That "test" for Pre-K that is. Being that he didn't maim anyone, drink a beer or have a smoke during the observed play hour, I really didn't have anything to worry about....). SO yeah, it's a big deal. Despite being called The American School (TAS) the majority of kids who go there, again from my understanding, are Taiwanese. The percentage of Americans is pretty small. This being said, whenever there is the opportunity to sign up kids for classes or camps, people jump on it. One of my girlfriends said that she had a friend come somewhere between 4-5 am to get her number...and she wasn't the first person.  When someone likened it to a rock concert, I thought they were kidding. I mean, that's a little hard core to me. It's not just summer camp either. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but there is also the extra-curricular classes through TYPA (Taipei Youth Program Association) which parents go nuts for in order to ensure their kids get into the most awesome of classes.These are the classes that are held at TAS after school. Classes like theater, sketching, tap, extreme Lego building....There are TONS of activities. It's mind blowing. It gives new meaning to if you snooze you lose for sure, I mean the cool classes fill up quick. Comparatively, what was Wyatt doing in Front Royal before we got here? Uhhhhhhhhh yeah, catch my drift? ALL the classes seemed cool to me, I snoozed.
In addition to TYPA classes, there are also classes though Tiger Tots the daycare center which is not connected to TAS? Oh , I don't know...I picked a bunch of classes, had a list of "seconds" and knew whatever he got into was where he needed to be.
So the end result? Wyatt got into summer camp 3 out of 4 weeks beginning in June and is on the waiting list for the one week. Beginning in the fall he has cooking class on Tuesdays, Mandarin Story Time on Friday, Hip Hop on Saturdays and soccer on Saturdays beginning in November.
Sweet......and completely worth my extra 3 hours of sleep. Everybody wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment