Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkin Picking in Taiwan

With the weather cooling, leaves changing and endless Facebook posts about pumpkin spice lattes, I know that Autumn has arrived. Naturally Halloween soon follows, which requires the annual hunt for a pumpkin. In Virginia we would go to the pumpkin patch, pick some apples, drink hot cider, eat caramel apples and drool over savory hot old fashioned cinnamon donuts. MMMMMMMM.
In Taiwan we do this.

1) Walk to the upscale supermarket that has ridiculously marked-up imported goods. 

2) Deliberate over the endless choices. (See box)
3) Smile at mom so we can check off this annual photo. Consider it checked.
4) Throw it in the cart and go. Total Time: 35 seconds
I am not even exaggerating when I write that it took 35 seconds. That is what occurs when the boys are in charge. I swear I glance at the produce for 2 seconds and there's a pumpkin in the cart. Seriously? I had to make Wyatt pose in front of the box, because I literally missed it. 
Oh well.- There are so many perks about living here I guess I shouldn't quibble. But you ALL know I will anyway.





6 comments:

  1. Love it, all the sarcasm & everything. We haven't even come close to getting a pumpkin. Fall is different in San Antonio. When it's 90 degrees and humid out (like right now, no exaggeration), and none of the trees in town actually change color at all, it's easy to forget that this IS fall. It's probably the biggest thing I miss about living in Huntsville. Alas. It's the 21st. I better get down to our grocery store, snap a pic or two myself of the kids, and get the damn pumpkin. It's Eli's homework anyway - bring a pumpkin to school. (Seriously. Ummm, awesome?) I'm kinda punchy right now. I would love for a few days of actual fall weather but as it is, I'll be wearing my Texas "uniform" - a tank top with my black flip flops, what I've been wearing every single day since I've moved here. ;)

    Happy fall to you in your international way of life! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA. I feel so lucky that the weather has actually "changed" here. It's in the 80's but so much cooler. And there are some leaves on the ground!!! I feel for you- 90 degrees with humidity is hard to even imagine jumping in a pile of leaves while drinking a hot latte. (I heart your punchiness btw).
    I kind of got excited that I was able to switch from shorts to bermudas. You take every inch you can get.....
    Looking forward to pics of that damn pumpkin ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I didn't realize it was still so warm there. Glad to know I'm in good company. All those Pinterest boards about fall and stuff, how utterly irrelevant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know!!!! I'm pinning everything pumpkin, vicariously living through others; )
    and not to give a blow by blow of the weather but I wa back to a tank today. Almost like the sun was hotter today just for spite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting....you're living vicariously through others who are living vicariously thru you...hhmmmm...does that mean that you in fact are actually living your own life? Is that the Twilight Zone theme I hear in the background??? Do do do do..do do do do.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmmmmm holy brain bender dad. I'll have to think about that after I rest up. we know i'm no good at critical thinking..
    wait.....i DO hear the faint notes of a song. do do do do..

    ReplyDelete